Inpatient Psychiatric Services
OLDER ADULT INPATIENT PSYCHIATRIC SERVICES (55+)
7900 Lee’s Summit Road, Kansas City, MO
For more information, or to make a referral, please call: 816-404-7360.
Referral Line: 816-678-7407 (Answered Monday through Friday, 8:30am-4:00pm)
Referral Fax: 816-404-8637
After hours, weekends and holidays call the CTM Bedding Pager: (816) 395-1049, or referrals can be faxed to 816-404-7362.
Offering short term inpatient services to patients 55 and older, the Older Adult Psychiatric Unit is located on the second floor of the beautiful TMC Lakewood campus. The unit offers a secure inpatient treatment environment with 16 beds where patients receive treatment for anxiety, late-life depression, bipolar disorder, delirium, dementia, psychosis and other psychiatric disorders. Treatment starts with a comprehensive assessment of the whole person and involves family when appropriate.
Here older adults with behavioral health needs are treated with a holistic approach that promotes wellness, provides preventative care, focuses on quality of life and recognizes the individual. Led by a neuropsychologist, the multidisciplinary treatment team includes an internal medicine physician, nursing staff, occupational, speech and physical therapists, music, art and recreational therapists, psychologists, social workers and counselors, a nutritionist, a chaplain and a consultant pharmacist.
While being treated on the unit, patients receive medication management, psychotherapy and neuropsychological evaluation when necessary. Patients also may participate in multidisciplinary groups which include a daily wellness group, recreation therapy and music therapy as well as time for individual leisure activities. The Namaste Care Room provides a comfortable environment where patients participate in sensory focused activities such as music, lighting, massage and aromatherapy.
ADULT INPATIENT PSYCHIATRIC SERVICES
TMC Psychiatric Inpatient Care
Short-term, crisis stabilization for behavioral health disorders and addiction
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
The psychiatric inpatient unit at TMC is a short-term, crisis stabilization center for patients 18 years of age and older. Patients receive round-the-clock nursing care and daily program structure, which provides a safe environment during the most critical stage of treatment. We tailor Individualized treatment plans to address the needs of each patient.
Inpatient services include but are not limited to the following:
• Individual case management
• Group therapy
• Family group and conjoint family therapy as needed
• Education about medication, nutrition, pain management, and wellness
• Education about coping skills, communication, and assertiveness
• Activities therapy
• Discharge planning
The program is based on the following ideas:
• Most psychiatric disorders can be treated on a short-term basis utilizing medications and strengthening existing coping resources.
• Treatment that offers a safe and therapeutic environment in which a patient can explore thoughts and feelings through a highly structured program promotes a more successful transition back to the patient's previous level of functioning.
• Psychiatric disorders involve a combination of biological and environmental factors that can be most effectively treated by a treatment team with a multidisciplinary approach to treatment.
• Psychiatric disorders may affect every member of the patient's family.
All admissions require medical clearance and transfer from the emergency room closest to the patient’s location.
Upon discharge, some patients transition to TMC’s day programs or outpatient services for ongoing support.
For more information, call 816-404-3807.